Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Rotate external display in Mountain Lion

At work, I have an external LCD monitor connected to a MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.7. The LCD monitor is vertically oriented so that I can read more on it.

I could not find any option to rotate this second display initially. I tried all the tips I could find but none allowed me to rotate the external display. People said you'd see a rotation option if you hold Command-Option and click on System Preferences, then click on Display (while still holding Command-Option). It was true. And it was only for your MacBook's built-in LCD display.

Turned out all I needed to do was to restart the laptop. The rotation option displayed itself after that. Perhaps there is some monitor capability discovery handshake that is only done at boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment